Saturday 13 September 2014

Home grown and foraged


 
As usual there have been some successes and some disasters in the garden this year.
 
The runner beans got off to a poor start as the first lot were eaten by rabbits but we managed to get a second lot going and keep the bunnies off with an old fire guard.
 
 

 
The Dahlias have been good and are still providing flowers to bring inside as are the sweet peas.
 
 

 
Blackberries in the fields round us have been brilliant this year
 and I have already made two batches of jelly.
 
This time I was aiming for something for the grownups..
 

 
Blackberry vodka and sloe gin!
I have made sloe gin before but the blackberry vodka is a new one for me so I will let you know how it turns out. After a bit of reading on the internet, I have opted for the
 "alcohol and fruit only to start with"
method.
Supposedly this gets more flavour from the fruit before adding the sugar later on.
We'll see.
 

 
And if I pan out you can see this fab table made from a recycled pallet
 that all the produce is sitting on.
Child number two made it and it kept him busy for a whole afternoon.
I just love it!

If you haven't already,
 it is worth looking at recycled pallet furniture on the net as it is amazing I think.
Here's just some.
 

 
And finally, a little quilted table mat which I made for the top of a wooden box.
It stops all the mug marks and the other mat needs a wash.
Any excuse to make a quick and easy quilt!
 

No comments: