Monday, 26 May 2014

A Long Weekend

We've had a long bank holiday weekend at home with lots of time for sewing and gardening.
The Jolly Molly is finished and the wadding will hopefully not shrink in the wash quite as much as the wool blanket did.

The appliqued flowers worked fine and provide enough quilting to hold it all together.

I added some buttons to finish the flowers,
 but avoided these being on the ends which will be used to pick up the hot dishes.

The reverse was some more of the grey with white dots,
 a cotton poplin that I used to back my recent  quilt, Flag it up.
Next up was the door stop.

This is a pattern that I have used before by Lotta Jansdotter in her book simple sewing.
I used some herringbone wool fabric which was lovely to work with, and a scrap of cotton dinosaurs to brighten up the top.

I filled it with scraps of fabric
and a packet of old dried black eyed beans that had gone well out of date!
The beans weight it down and the fabric  stuffing help it to keep it's shape.
And finally I snuck in a shirt that was luckily already cut out a few weeks ago.
New Look pattern 6104, again one I have done before here, but this time I made view c but with slightly shorter sleeves and no tucks in the sleeves or front panels.

The fabric was from Truro fabrics around Easter time.
It's another cotton poplin with a very slight sheen
 and I had second thoughts about it after cutting it out.
You wouldn't know but the pattern is lots of rows of tiny snails!  

Now that it's made up I quite like it.
I'm hoping the fabric will soften and wear a bit when washed.
The pattern is definitely a favourite and is lovely and quick, with no fiddly collar.
The shaping works well and I even managed to find some recycled buttons for the front.

No comments: